Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Rustic Imperfect DIY Outdoor Art

artoutdoor

I think outdoor art is a great way to brighten, personalize, bring the inside out.  I have always loved outdoor art but we have moved so much and some of it is just very expensive, so I have limited amounts.  My mom on the other hand, has a lot of wonderful outdoor art from metal sculptures to statues to wall hangings.

When I saw this pile of wood on my aunt’s farm the ideas in my head were endless.

DSC_0840-1.jpg

My uncle got this pile when he took down an old fence on another farm.  I started a project I haven’t been able to finish, but decided to give this art project a whirl.

DSC_0150-2.jpg

I started with a 9 x 12 inch piece of thin particle board I had home depot cut from a larger piece.  I have used this particle board in other projects and really like it.  I am not a painter as in an artist painter but had an image in my head and gave it a try.  I used cheap acrylic paints I had on hand from paint samples at Home Depot and JoAnne Fabric.  Once I painted my image, I let it dry then distressed it.  Then I sprayed a clear satin coating for protection. 

I tried my best to cut the boards into a frame.  The wood and my cutting are both imperfect.  My husband helped me assemble by drilling flat right angle brackets on the back and tacking the painting into the frame.

artoutdoor

The angle of this photo is a little off.  I had to stand to the side because the second clear coat on the painting was still a little wet.

Linking here:

The 36th AVENUE

grabtt
Current Link Party!Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Bloghttp://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/
French Country Cottage

3 comments:

  1. This turned out beautiful! I'm your newest linky follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would have thought that such a simple but beautiful wall art can be made out of a simple pile of wood. You get great ideas, the inspiration comes like running water to you, congratulations, I love this project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is So cool! love the art and frame!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, precious people, for taking time to comment on my blog. I am humbled.